Thanks to Pinterest, I recently stumbled upon this beautiful English home decorated by Caroline Harrowby and featured in House & Garden. English homes are so timeless, I find myself drawn to them again and again…. add in an exquisite English garden, and I’m in heaven! When the owners first purchased this Georgian town house in Ludlow (which boasts over 500 listed buildings), it was dreary and gloomy with dark walls and faux-walnut paint finishes on much of the panelling. Harrowby chose papers, paints, and textiles that would not only rejuvenate and brighten the house but also emphasize the perfect proportions of the rooms and fine period features. With a wealth of detailing – from the plasterwork to the panelling – simplicity was the key to a harmonious ensemble.
The regeneration of the garden came simultaneously. The existing garden leading from the house was formal in design with a central canal, clipped hedges, and a wide terrace in front of the drawing room windows. The owner wanted to keep the formal structure but “soften the edges,” and a secret garden hidden off the center lawn was added. An elevated Gothick summer house trails down to a lower lawn dotted with clipped boxwood, flowering trees, and shrubs, creating a perfect escape from the busy market town.
This home was originally featured in the May 2015 issue of House & Garden. To learn more about the house click here and here for the garden. And for more English country homes from The Glam Pad, please click on the links below.
- A CLASSIC GEORGIAN HOME IN THE ENGLISH COUNTRYSIDE
- AN OLD FASHIONED ENGLISH COUNTRY HOUSE
- BEN PENTREATH’S ENGLISH COUNTRY HOME
- LOUISE TOWNSEND’S IDYLLIC ENGLISH COUNTRY HOME
- ALICE NAYLOR-LEYLAND’S ENGLISH COUNTRY WONDERLAND
- MARK GILLETTE REFRESHES A 300-YEAR-OLD ENGLISH MANOR
- FARM FROM HOME WITH AMANDA BROOKS
- LAST NIGHT I DREAMT I WENT TO MANDERLEY AGAIN
- BOWOOD HOUSE
- INSIDE ENGLAND’S SEEND MANOR WITH AMANDA CLARK
- JOHN FOWLER’S NANTCLWYD HALL REVISITED
- BRITISH ELEGANCE WITH SERENA FRESSON AND ALICE NAYLOR-LEYLAND