By Jenny Caulk
It’s no surprise that Americans adore their pets, but you may be surprised that 66% of American pet owners allow their precious pets to sleep in their bed, and 58% in relationships admitted they prefer to share a bed with their furry friends rather than their significant other, according to a poll commissioned by Sealy mattress company.
I am one of these people, and to be honest, I’m not surprised by the findings of this poll. What shocked me was that there are very few products for people who want to cuddle on the couch with their kitty or take an afternoon nap with their precious puppy on what I lovingly refer to as “the new dog bed” (i.e. your bed).
So, in 2019 I launched Fursatile, a lifestyle brand with a mission to “connect people and pets beautifully” with home decor designed and curated for pet lovers like myself.
If you are one of the 68% Americans who let your pets sleep in your bed, you’ll probably understand why I designed the Fursatile Step Ottoman. I’ve never been a fan of traditional pet steps, and since I couldn’t find what I needed on the market, I designed the patented Step Ottoman. It’s so much more than just a pet step. It’s a beautiful piece of furniture with the most unexpected features. In short, it was made for people and pets and can be used as extra seating or steps.
And if you’re tired of stripping your bedding or scrubbing your upholstery, you’ll love the Fursatile Protective Cover. Think of a “protective barrier” for your bedding, couch, or chairs that is pretty and is made with a highly resilient fabric from Italy that is soft, beautiful, and durable!
I know that some of you are probably aghast with having a pet in the bed. Choosing to sleep with an animal is a personal decision. If you’re interested in understanding the pros and cons of sleeping with your pet, this is a great article! Ultimately the decision depends on you, your pet, and your unique situation. One thing I think we can all agree on is that most of the pet products on the market are not #verytgp. As a self-proclaimed “dog-obsessed design lover,” I think we should have it all! A beautiful home where everything has been perfectly appointed, including the products for our four-legged BFF!
As the newest member of The Glam Pad, I have asked Riley (TGP founder Andrea’s French Bulldog) to be the Chief Product Tester & Dog Model Extraordinaire of our FAVORITE LUXURY PET DÉCOR. Not everyone wants a dog in their bed, which is fine. My only request is that you show grace when viewing our selections. Each product started as just an idea for these women entrepreneurs, and after a lot of time, money, and hard work – their design came to life.. for the love of fur babies.
Phoebe is Andrea’s 19-year-old rescue Chihuahua, and she asked to make a brief guest appearance. Phoebe adores her Porthault-inspired heart bowl from Indigo Home. The bowls come in all sizes and colors, and can be personalized with your pet’s name! We also love the matching treat canister. All products are hand-painted with love by our friend Dana Mahnke.
Next up… The SPCA recommends crate training your puppy (please see guidelines here), and we have two recommendations…
Say goodbye forever to ugly wire crates! Clearly Pet’s Lucidium Dog Pens are a game changer. No wires, no bars, and there is plenty of room for Riley’s fluffy bed, his bowls, and toys. Your furry friend stays safe from chewing on potential dangers throughout the house, but doesn’t feel like he is in jail. It has also been a lifesaver as we struggle through potty training. Please note, the bottom of the pen is open, so you will need to add protection. This plastic pan has saved us from countless accidents, I highly recommend it! Clearly Pets also has a list of suggestions, but the pan is still my top choice.
Pretty Kennels is the ultimate in glamour when it comes to dog crates! You can tour the beautiful home of founder Paige Wilson – and read our Q&A – here. We keep Riley’s Pretty Kennel in our bedroom and he loves sleeping next to us at night. Handmade in the USA, these exquisite Lucite crates are truly works of art. I love the touch of Hollywood Glamour it adds to the room! To learn more and to place an order, please visit prettykennels.com and Etsy. Please visit the SPCA for additional information on crate training and how to choose the correct size crate for your dog.
In closing, below are some of my favorite tips for living elegantly with pets!
Tips for Living Beautifully with Pets
Finding ways to make your home pet-friendly is easy…and you don’t have to sacrifice your sense of style. Remember, your house is your home…a haven. It doesn’t need to look like an old-school doghouse!
- Clean out a cabinet or drawer and section it off for your fur baby’s food, leashes, toys, etc. I keep all of my pup’s belongings in an antique armoire and a drawer in an Italian console. Using your furniture as storage is a beautiful alternative to traditional pet storage, which looks like it was made for a cat/dog and tends to be an eye sore.
- Don’t be afraid to really “live” with your pet. I, for one, can’t get enough puppy cuddles. Keep a small lint roller in your car and a larger one (or two) in your home.
- Invest in a vacuum that can clean every nook and cranny of your home. I am obsessed with the Dyson Detect V15 cordless vacuum. It’s engineered for a home with pets, and it can convert to a handheld for cleaning cars, stairs, and upholstery.
- Stay true to your style & find ways to “pet-proof” your upholstery and bedding.
- Performance (aka pet-friendly and family-friendly) fabrics change how people live. What makes these fabrics so appealing? Most have properties that make them stain resistant, water repellant, odor-resistant, and some are even bleachable.
- You can have beautiful silk bedding, a linen white sofa & have pets! A must-have for every home is The Fursatile Protective Cover. It is made from an Italian performance fabric, and it acts as an extra barrier of protection over all the places your family likes to snuggle.
There are two lovely books we recommend for additional ideas and tips on welcoming pets within the well appointed home:
- At Home with Dogs and Their Designers: Sharing a Stylish Life
- At Home in the English Countryside: Designers and Their Dogs
And for ongoing inspiration on how to live elegantly with pets, please follow @fursatile on Instagram.
According to the American Pet Products Association, seventy percent of U.S. households own a pet, and 90% of them see their pet as part of the family (source). The Glam Pad celebrates the much-needed merger of the pet industry with interior design. What are your favorite chic pet products for the home?